AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

HP finally listened to some customers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 10/9/2011 03:36 (#1996301 - in reply to #1996292)
Subject: RE: And RPN....

Wyoming

Yea, RPN is a nice feature to have. I can get along without it, but I much prefer a calculator with it.  I've played with a couple other calculators back then that claimed to use RPN, but they didn't have the four-deep stack that HP has, and were fairly useless.

Mind you, I started with a TI-30, then progressed to a TI-58C. Lots of buddies had a TI-58C or TI-59 (the TI programmable that read the wee little magnetic strips). When the price on the HP-41C's and CV's came down, a lot of us went for those because the TI's didn't hold up under hard use. (EE students used their calculators all day, every day...). Right after a bunch of us got our 41's, the 15C came out and at about half the price of the 41's. If I didn't already have a 41 when it came out, I would have gotten a 15C immediately.

The biggest reason I think so many guys loved the HP wasn't just their nerd-baiting features, it was the keyboards and ergonomics. When you're cranking through lots of computations, it really helps to know when you've pressed a key, that the key didn't bounce, etc. TI keys were notoriously "bouncy" and repeated after they started getting some wear on them.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)