AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

multi user Quick Books question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 9/30/2011 21:13 (#1985706 - in reply to #1985546)
Subject: Re: multi user Quick Books question

What I would look into if it were me is add a small partition to the hard drive attached to the Airport and move the QB data onto that. If you keep it on one of the Mac's internal drives, yes that computer would have to be on to access it from the other. The bad thing about storing the data on the same external as Time Machine is if that drive ever crashes, you lose your QB data along with your TM backups. A way to solve that is to use SugarSync (or a similar service) to back that data up to the cloud. SugarSync will automatically back up the data anytime something changes. Plus, I believe you get 2 GB for free - which should be plenty for the QB data.

HOWEVER - my brother uses QB and they have a data backup service that I THINK is free. Check into that - would solve the issue right there.

Time Machine is not hard at all to set up to back up externals. I have mine set to back up my Mac as well as one external drive. System Preferences->Time Machine->Options. You can add or remove drives from there.

iCloud will solve these issues in time. Don't know for sure, but I THINK the apps themselves will need to be updated to utilize iCloud features. Since Intuit is slow to update the Mac versions of their software titles, you might see the benefits of iCloud with QB by the year 2020. ;) Ever consider switching to the online version of QB? I have been using TurboTax online for the past three years and I think it is great. No more having to store data locally and keeping track of it from year to year - just have to remember my log-in. Don't know if two people can use it at the same time though - you'd need to check into it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)