AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Just what do you people do ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chris
Posted 8/7/2011 16:04 (#1900626)
Subject: Just what do you people do ?

East central Iowa

I've been using a computer since the Comodore.  My sons grew up with computers, one is a software engineer and the other has an MS in HCI.  I repair and restore computers in the spring and fall. 

None of us has had more than one virus in 30 years.  My youngest was at college and turned off his firewall so he could access files for another computer and when he got back he had a virus that was going around.  I've forgotten the name.  The other son hasn't had anything.  My only virus was when I first got Windows 3.1 and opened an attachment in an email from a friend.

I and they are constant users of the Internet.  I have visited hacking sites, warez sites and ended up at sites by accident that I didn't intend because I typed the wrong letter.  Most notably when Kim Komanndo said to use HotBot for searches and I thought she said HotBox.  Anyway we've never had anything cause problems.

I still have my Dell from 8 years ago and use it on ocassion.  It edits video, it does the church newsletter, it keeps records, it writes letters and so on.  The only thing that doesn't work is one DVD drive that I overzealously opened.    It has both Win98se and Win XP professional on it.

The only anti virus I use is free, the only firewall is free and whatever the router has of course.  Then I use a couple of programs to check periodically but all they find is tracking cookies.

So, what are you people doing to get viruses?  I can't ask customers, they never know.  Maybe you people won't know either. 

More later.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)