AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For you web design guys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

torn
Posted 8/7/2011 09:04 (#1899883 - in reply to #1899747)
Subject: Re: For you web design guys

roaming
SSI refers to "Server Side Include", which is a generic term for a file that is "included" in another file before the entire package is delivered to the user's browser.

So the user requests a page, and then the server finds the page, reads through or interprets the page to find out if there's anything special it needs to do (i.e. including your navigation file, in this case), and then delivers the entire result to the user.

I'm quite surprised that you didn't have to rename your page file (the one where you pasted the "<!--#include virtual="includes/navigation.htm" -->" text. Typically a server will render a ".htm" page as-is, without doing an parsing or interpreting to find out if the page requires anything special (like an include).

You might get away with what you've done if all you want to do is make your menu easier to update, but if you want to add other dynamic features (showing different content to different visitors, different content at different times of the day, etc, etc, etc.), you'll need to start using a "real" dynamic scripting language. I started with ASP 10 years ago, and used it up until about 2 years ago. Since then I've been migrating to PHP. PHP (along with being open-source), seems to be a more consistent language, and it's much easier to work with "real" databases (i.e. not MS Access) in PHP. Plus I like open-source projects.

www.w3schools.com is a great place to start learning PHP.

Any questions, let us know!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)