AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Runaway semi!! I need a semi expert, please help.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Offroadnt
Posted 7/28/2011 01:14 (#1883453 - in reply to #1883041)
Subject: Re: Runaway semi!! I need a semi expert, please help.

Southern Alberta Canada
Something really funny is going on here...
First of all ABS light comes on, then it goes out again? Usually when this system logs a code the light will stay on. If it goes on for three seconds maybe your ABS system is resetting itself.

Second, the brake petal gets mushy? These are air brakes, why would the petal feel different? The brake petal sends a pilot signal to the relay valves which send air through the ABS valves to the brake chambers. In other words there is no communication between the petal and the ABS system. The petal might feel different if you loose all your air but that's it.

Third the engine revs to 2300RPM? Only three things can allow this. One the mechanical link is broken between your engine and your wheels allowing the engine to rev. Two your spinning your tires allowing your engine to rev. Three your vehicle is accelerating to allow the engine to rev. The engine will not come even close to overpowering the brakes unless the truck is in low gear or the brakes are very hot. If your tach is getting a stray signal you would think it would go to max or zero not 2300RPM, seems like a weird coincidence.

I have to admit, big feet or your clutch, brake and throttle petals somehow moving simultaneously seem to be the cause of these symptoms. Think; push the clutch the engine is disengaged from the driveline, push the brakes, slid the tires=ABS event, push the throttle, engine revs to max speed.

Another observation, why are your drivers stomping on the brakes in the first place? Or are they just trying to troubleshoot this problem?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)