AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Protecting Against The New Wave Of Malware
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 7/24/2011 03:10 (#1877145 - in reply to #1876125)
Subject: RE: Spamming?? Surely you jest

West Union, Illinois

bwire - Spamming?? Surely you jest...
No, I'm quite serious.  Look at what you posted, but suppose it were posted by someone with only 3 posts, and they all were made today.  You start with a link to a site requiring registration to view the article, followed by another link to a page requiring you to log in.  That alone causes red flags to pop up in my head.

Then I find a logo for GFI (whatever that is) which links to another page wanting me to log in.  As I scroll down the page I find it offers me the opportunity to open various links, and as I scroll down the page I find an Flash player ad inviting me to join the Obama 2012 campaign!

That just doesn't impress this old country boy.  And it makes him cautious about opening anything else in these links.

I know, you did say "Free registration required"

OK, try this, Let's rewrite what you posted originally:

=====

Tech Republic has a whrite paper about why traditional antivirus approaches don't work and why a new approach is required to better protect your company from malicious threats. Learn about the scope of the malware problem and strategies that can help you defend against evolving malware threats. You have to log in to read it, but registration is free.

http://www.techrepublic.com/whitepapers/protecting-against-the-new-wave-of-malware/395433/post?promo=99

=====

Doesn't that sound better than what you had originally? And it takes less space, hence it should take less bandwidth. That seems to be important to you because you said
the bandwidth required would not justify the practice.
You say
I'm not going to take the time to fully qualify every thread
I'm not suggesting you do, but I AM suggesting you, as a veteran member and user of this site, could have done better presenting the information than you did.  Instead of giving "keywords and brief subject specific nomenclature of thread topics which a viewer may recognize to determine their interest in the subject" why don't you just tell us what it is about and who is talking?

I know, in your mind you did just that.  But the way you did it reminds me of when my highly educated brother got a new computer.  My other brother, who is a smart guy but not that great at formal education, said "Show me this new computer" Bob proceeds to clicking and pointing and opening and operating until Steve goes "No, I meant what button do you push to turn it on?"

Your approach assumes everyone is at the same level you are.  But the people who really need the help are not there.  If you are going to help them you need to start where they are at.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)