AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much RAM to eliminate spooling up?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Ontario78
Posted 6/16/2011 23:54 (#1822224 - in reply to #1818159)
Subject: RE: How much RAM to eliminate spooling up?

Hi Guys, I've been lurking around here for a while... mostly browsing the machinery and crop forums, but I like to check in over here from time to time to see your thoughts on computers.
I feel that the needs you have described here can be served with a $400-500 laptop. I personally run such a machine, and have approx 20,000 images which are each about 4MB in size. When double-clicked, the image will open in about 1/3 of a second. Once an image is opened, you can view the next image in that folder in 0.1 seconds (approx).
A link was posted below referencing computer specifications. This link was from 2008. As we all have heard in the past, this is a LONG time in computer land. A $400-500 laptop today, will typically have 500GB storage capacity. The Memory will be around 4GB. While I have not personally used much power point, I see no reason why a computer off the shelf today would have a problem running 4 x 40MB power point presentations with little or no noticeable lag.
What type of computer are you running right now? If you are unsure of the specs, the brand and year of the machine will tell alot.
If you walk into Walmart, or another BigBox store, and start asking about your system requirements, you will end up being fed a load of BS by a guy who really doesn't know what he is talking about. Unfortunately, these are the stores with the best prices. I have found that stores with knowledgable staff which are smaller, independant, specilized computer stores, cannot compete on laptop prices. However they CAN compete on store-built desktop computers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)