AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Am I going to like this, or will it work like
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dlver
Posted 6/11/2011 08:56 (#1813728 - in reply to #1811336)
Subject: RE: Am I going to like this, or will it work like

Boyden, Iowa Sioux County

Ron,  I've been strip tilling for some years now, first manually and since 2007 with RTK.  This is on flat ground and contoured with terraces, I strip with 8 rows and plant 16rows.  The strip till rigs are 3 pt. Orthman and Dawn units both with TrueTracker implement steering.  The planter is a JD 1720 stack fold 3pt also with implement steering all with RTK.  Tractors are JD MFWDs.

My concern with your equipment would not be so much that one is articulated and one MFWD but that you are using trailing implements.  The tractors on RTK will be in the correct position but your planter could be off considerablly trying to follow a strip made with another trailed implement without guidance.  Also an anhydrous knife typically will leave a "narrow strip". 

I usually have an 8 inch strip from the fall before that I'm planting into.  With the implement "steering" on both the strip till rig and then the planter I can consistently place the seeds into the center of the strip while on the side of the terrace on the curves.

I have a fellow strip tiller from the flat land along the Missouri river that has gone to 3 pt mounted strip till bar and planter so that they can follow the strips exactly.  They have such flat land that they do not need the implement steering as long as they use mounted planter and strip till.

As far as the passive implement steering systems go, either I-Guide or True Guide.  They should be able to place your strip till rig  in the correct place by driving the tractor "offline" to compensate for drifting and curves.  But in the spring the planting tractor would have to do the same thing and possibly be riding on top of your strips in order to place the planter on the strips.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)