AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why I can't use WAAS to plant with
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

FactoryFarmer
Posted 5/22/2011 10:46 (#1785767 - in reply to #1784154)
Subject: Re: Why I can't use WAAS to plant with

N IL

sat_alight - 5/21/2011 02:12 What do you mean by bad? WAAS accuracy is better than it was 4 years ago. Different broadcasting satellites are being use so are you not getting the signal?
FactoryFarmer - 5/19/2011 22:57 We used to plant with WAAS about 4 years ago but for some reason it seemed to work better back then. WAAS is so bad here that we even run the tillage tractor on RTK, we do not do a single thing without RTK anymore.

I can get a signa; no problem everywhere I go but for some reason it drifts so much more. I should do a little more explaining......

When we first started planting with WAAS 4 years ago you hardly ever had to nudge the line it seemed like and we really could not have been happier with it. Even when you parked it for the night it was only off a couple of feet the following morning. The next year we upgraded the planter to RTK since we had some other ideas in mind but kept everything else on WAAS. For some reason that spring it always seemed like I would stop to help fill the planter and my line would drift several feet. I mean, this was way more drift than the previous season.

Now this spring, I forgot to set up the display in the 4wd for RTK and we started doing tillage with WAAS. The guy running it kept calling me saying it was always either skipping or overlaping on every pass across the field which I assumed was because I did not calibrate the NAV controller good enough. And then I noticed when running it that every once in a while the tractor woud just start driving off to one side of the line and just keep driving off at an angle and the autosteer would never kick out. Putting the tractor on RTK fixed all of those problems.

Right or wrong this is just what I have seen with WAAS over the past few years.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)