AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IPad 2 -- Facetime or Skype advice?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tim42163
Posted 4/27/2011 00:31 (#1747379 - in reply to #1746719)
Subject: Great iPad advice!!

Western Iowa
Thank you William and Eric -- very helpful advice.

I didn't know that FaceTime doesn't currently work with 3G. That is good to know for I assumed it does work.

After spending nearly $300 in maintenance & repairs within 90 days, my wife's Gateway laptop died in Dec. That prompted a switch to Apple (after reading advice here, we had Apple in mind for our next purchase )... and our first Apple purchase was a MacBook. Our remaining computers are PC's, which will be replaced with Apples as needed. My wife currently uses Skype quite often, and it works much better on the MacBook than it ever did on her Gateway laptop. She still will use Skype to communicate with distant PC-using relatives and friends.

Subscribed to Dropbox. Now all of our pictures and files are in Dropbox folders -- sync-ed across three computers, at two locations. So I no longer worry about any data loss caused by hardware failure.

The reason for the laptop for my daughter, is that her college gives the choice of Apple or PC laptops, and I don't think desktops are among the options. It looks like there is only a $100 discount on the Apple MacBook vs retail price. I am still waiting for response from the college people to verify that she can use the iPad also. Otherwise, we just like laptops because they are more convenient. And, we don't mind paying a little extra for that. Two PC's here are desktops.

Other reasons for the iPads:

I am looking to keep a good connection with my daughter. I remember what it was like when I left for college, and I want us to stay connected as much as possible. Especially to help her (and us) until we all adjust to the change.

And, probably most of all, I am looking for a good graduation gift. And, she likes the latest gadgets, so I think the iPad 2 will be a winner.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)