AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Computer purchase
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 2/19/2011 21:44 (#1623863 - in reply to #1622946)
Subject: RE: Computer purchase

West Union, Illinois

Having been involved in the purchase of a couple laptops for other people in the last month or so, let me suggest you go to a store with several on display and try them out.  I would suggest someplace like Staples where they're at desktop level versus Office Max who puts them at eye level. You need to be able to use them a little and see how it works for you.

My wife's for instance doesn't get moved except from the kitchen table to the living room.   Hers has a large display, a full size keyboard and a number pad

Mom's is physically smaller and easier to move and she wouldn't use a number pad if it had one.  it was also the prettiest one on display.  Different things are important to different people.

I also have a mini I bought at a yard sale for $100 or so.  It works great if I am going to be away for the day, say on a trip or in a hospital waiting room.  I can access a wireless network and check farm prices, surf, send email updates etc.  I know, so does a smart phone.  It is easier to use and costs less.

Usually you can get more bang for your buck with a desktop ... but not always.  And they are a lot more difficult to move around.  My last personal computer was a desktop.  I wanted a larger display than laptops had available.  Plus I can easily add a couple I/O cards if I want and it cost less.  But it was also harder to find.  Everyone wanted to sell sexy laptops.

edit: OK, I THINK ALL THE TYPO'S ARE FIXED !

Edited by Mike SE IL 2/19/2011 21:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)