AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

opinion on john deere 4430
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

midniteplowboyy
Posted 11/30/2010 17:23 (#1461633 - in reply to #1461179)
Subject: Re: opinion on john deere 4430

Thats one of my favorite tractors. I have two of them with syncro ranges and a 4440 with quadrange and 4450ps. One 4430 has 20.8 -38's and the other has 20.8-34's, the one with 34's is my favorite loader/dinker around tractor, it rides much better and much more nimble, more like a 4020.

For foward/reverse loader work I like the sycrorange better than the other two transmissions, its as fast shifting as you can get without getting a newer tractor with a reverser. The reverse in the quadrange is alot faster than the foward gear right next two it, where as the syncrorange 3f/3r or 5f/5r is geared about the same, you can quickly togggle bewteen forward/reverse on either trans. For plow work the quadrange is a nice trans.

For hard starting, make sure the aneroid cable/linkage is working. I replace the checkvalves in the liftpumps once a year, there cheap. Some of the 4430's didn't have the third checkvalve on the fuel filter housing which can be added, also sometimes this check valve gets a piece of trash stuck in it. When its cold I always pump the hand primer a few strokes just in case the fuel has leaked down. But as mentioned the 404 is a harder starting engines than the newer 466 and alot of other engines, but with good fuel system/batteries and cables they aint that bad.

One of mine has 17,300 hours with pretty much everything rebuilt over the years and the other one has 10,800 with not much work done but it needs it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)