AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Linking up Internet between houses?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

frmr96
Posted 11/1/2010 15:34 (#1417255 - in reply to #1416628)
Subject: RE: Linking up Internet between houses?

Roland, IA
77 Farmer - 10/31/2010 22:57

My wife and I are building a new house close to the farm. It is about 1200 feet away from the farm office. I am wanting to use the internet service we already have at the farm. It can be put on a wireless modem. What are my options to hook the two structures together without wires. Thanks

I used to work for a computer company and a wireless internet company. Even here at our dealership, I've installed a couple of units that you are seeking... Made by Engenius Technologies. Called an EOC-5611P http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.as...
They cost around $90. Get 2 of them. Put one at the farm where your internet supply is at. Set that unit as the Access Point. Put the other one at the house, set that unit as the bridge. You will of course, have to run a cable from the unit into the house/farm office, to a power supply, and then to the router.

You will want to set them up so that the SSID is not broadcasted. Otherwise people driving by with a laptop or such could find the signal, if you are close enough to the road. If not, don't worry about it. These are directional units, so they will need to face each other to get the best signal. I have personally seen these work at Line-Of-Site at 3 miles.

Each radio (EOC-5611) is around $90. Plus cabling (approx $25). Any person that is half way knowledgeable about computers can set these up.

No need to spend the big bucks for a unit that is replaceable. I've been runnings these at a local campground for the last 3 years without any issues yet!

Otherwise, email me!
T
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)