AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

can convert 480 volt 3ph genset to 220v 1ph?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

poorboy
Posted 8/23/2010 22:43 (#1329372 - in reply to #1329267)
Subject: RE: Thanks everyone, a few more questions.

Southern Alberta
In general I have a very good understanding of single phase wiring and have done lots. I have very limited knowledge of 3 phase and was wondering if there was some simple way to know if the receptacle is 3 phase or not, just by looking. Internet searches show lots of the receptacles and plugs between 1 phase and 3 phase look very similar.

The breaker panels on this genset trailer are such that the circuit breakers only have one arm showing through the panel to trip and reset. The rest of the breaker is behind the metal, so you can't see the 3 legs tied together like Ed Boyson has in his panel. Because I only briefly looked at the generator, I did not take the panels apart and look at them. When the genset arrives at my place next week, I will take them apart and have a look.

I have never seen an electrical connection that has a rectangular outlet and fastens with over center locks like the JD combines use going into the ecm's. This generator setup has long lengths of armoured cable with 120v plug in boxes wired every 20' or so. Probably 6 of them on a length of armoured cable and this rectangular connection with 12 or so pins connecting it to the breaker box. I am assuming it is 120v and will check it once I get it home.

I was mainly wondering if there was an easy way to spot a 3 versus 1 phase outlet from a distance without having to test it. Looks like subtle differences between the twist lock plugs.

As I purchase more airation fans I will probably buy 3 phase motors, but for now it would be nice to use the existing fans I have.

Again thanks for the help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)