AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pioneer Hybrids ( corn )
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

nwksmilo
Posted 8/3/2010 19:01 (#1299710 - in reply to #1299423)
Subject: Re: Pioneer Hybrids ( corn )

Colby, KS
I'd look at 35F40 or 35F44. They are around 106 day. They don't have a lot of earflex, but stress pretty good. A good fit for limited irrigation. If you want something longer, look at 33B49 or 33B54 (111 day). They stress very well, but don't like to drydown. They are older numbers and Pioneer is trying to get rid of them, but they are still some of the best for western kansas.

I had some 35F44 on limited irrigation (350gpm) last year and it made 210. Planted it again this year. Harvested at 17-18% in mid-October and had no lodging at all. The trick to combat lodging (with any hybrid) is to plant the right population for your yield goal. Unless you can realistically expect more than 250 bushels per acre, IMHO, planting more than 28000 is overpopulating (and therefore adding stress).

With my limited water, I plant 22-24K. It can still make over 200, and realistically, my yield goal is 180 and I can get over 200 if I'm lucky with the weather.

Also, to minimize green snap and lodging issues, just simply use NO 2,4-D and NO dicamba. It's Roundup Ready for a reason -- use roundup. Add Status if you have resistance problems. I'm amazed at the guys that plant RR corn and still spray dicamba and wonder why they get greensnap.

Edited by nwksmilo 8/3/2010 19:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)