AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

i pad for old people
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

moowc
Posted 7/19/2010 18:01 (#1279692 - in reply to #1275066)
Subject: RE: i pad for old people

I got a 32 Gigabyte WiFi iPad for my 82 year old father 3 days after they became available. He was not totally unfamiliar with computers - He had a desktop that he used for mostly email and sometimes to order things online.

He loves it and almost never uses his desktop anymore. He does all his email and web surfing on the iPad, and after trying his first ebook on it, he only buys and reads books on his iPad. He manages his mail order prescriptions via the iPad.

He has almost 800 pictures of the first great grandchild on it and loves to show them off. He also plays scrabble on it in the middle of the night when he can't get to sleep. He has a regular appointment every thursday night at 7:30 to play Scrabble online with one of the grandchildren who lives half way across the country.

He would say to anyone that asks- get one.

Keep in mind that you need to sync to a computer to activate it, and if you don't have a computer around, you are going without any backup. I recommended one to a friend for his mother, who had trouble getting along with a Windows computer, and she loves it, so far, and has really gotten into the email. He plans to sync it to his laptop once or twice a year, when he visits.

The real advantage to the Apple operating systems is that once you learn how to do something, everything else behaves the same way, so if you are trying to do something new, your experience you gained previously helps you figure it out.

From my experiences so far, I'd have to say go for it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)