AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rosetta Stone
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Owen Taylor
Posted 1/15/2010 10:19 (#1023668 - in reply to #1022582)
Subject: Regarding Spanish dialects

Mississippi

I understand there are 2 versions of RS -- one for Spain, another for Latin America. Haven't tried either. Another possible resource:

http://www.LearnSpanishFluently.com

I've contended for several years that, as Roundup continues to fail on more weed species and the need grows to till and cultivate fields, the most important weed management tool a Southern farmer can acquire is a working knowledge of Spanish. So many counties have lost population that nobody is left locally to drive all the tractors that will be needed, so migrant workers will be a fact of life. I started saying that at farm meetings 5 or 6 years ago, and people laughed (mostly at me). Nobody laughs now when I make that point. They just kind of nod their heads.

Regarding Spanish dialects...

An attorney friend told me about his firm doing a probono defense case for a migrant Hispanic worker, a Mexican.

Nobody in the firm spoke Spanish, so they called the local college Spanish teacher, who came over to help. He couldn't communicate with the guy because the instructor was steeped in Castillion Spanish from Europe, while the defendent was a Mexican.

As it happens, another friend happened to be in the law offices that day. She's an accountant who had to get some papers prepared for a client. Her family is Mexican-American and moved up from Texas before she was born. Spanish was mainly spoken at home. I don't think her mother spoke much English.

One of the attorneys saw her in the hall and asked if she could take a crack at it. She immediately began translating.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)