AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yummy potato soup
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

dairyman78
Posted 1/8/2010 22:42 (#1012059 - in reply to #1011815)
Subject: RE: yummy potato soup

S.C. Wisconsin
Hi, I am Dave's wife. I made up this potato soup recipe many years ago. No real measurements, but I will try.

1 pound bacon (how can it not be good) cut into one inch pieces
3 large onions diced
3 ribs of celery diced
6 large potatoes cut into chunks
several carrots cut into chunks
bacon grease and or butter to equal 1/4 cup
1/4 cup flour
5 to 6 cups whole milk (I didn't say this was a diet soup)

Cook the bacon, onions, and celery in a cast iron skillet, or I used my dutch oven. I like using this kind of pan as you get these flavorful little bits on the bottom of the pan. Be careful not to burn it though.

While that is cooking boil the potatoes and carrots until tender.

When the bacon, onion, and celery is cooked, remove it to a bowl and measure the reserved bacon grease. There might not be any there depending on the type of bacon and the onions and celery will soak up the grease too. But if you have any grease there, measure it and add butter to make 1/4 cup. Stir in the flour to make a rue and stir constantly with a wire whisk, for one minute. Remove from the heat, slowly add in the milk and return to the heat and cook until it boils and boil for one minute. Reduce heat to a simmer and add in the drained potatoes and carrots and add in your bacon, onions and celery. Simmer for a short time, it will thicken up if you simmer for a long time. (depends on how late the old man is) Oh, season to taste. That is it, let me know if you try it and like it.

Debbie
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)