AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Droid update
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 11/15/2009 00:03 (#924471)
Subject: Droid update

1 week into the Motorola Droid - here are some additional observations....

The more I use this device, the better I am liking it. There are some really nice features of the Android OS that are not available on the iPod/iPhone OS. The ability to run multiple apps at once is nice. You can also run widgets on this phone - which are nice for quickly getting updated information without having to launch an app. The Android Market (app store) has some really incredible apps - but a lot of crap too, same as iTunes app store. Right now, there are about 1/10 the total number of apps for Android compared to iPhone - but I have been able to find an app for my Droid for almost everything that I have on my Touch and then some.

Android OS is pretty stable for being a relatively new OS. I've had to do one reboot to clear a problem, and it rebooted itself once while I was using the browser. No idea what triggered that.

I have found software for my Mac (also available in Win version) that syncs the Droid to iTunes automatically. That saves a pile of time and trouble and eliminates one of my major gripes about this phone.

Location services is incredible - and there are some really neat apps that make use of it. 

I have found that the OS can be modified to work however you'd like it to, and add features that are not in the standard release. I have not attempted any of that sort of thing yet - only found websites where downloads are available. 

If anyone out there decides to get a Droid, be warned that you have to be a bit picky about holsters. Seems these days most holsters have a magnet to hold the flap down. You cannot use these with the Droid. A magnet will wake the Droid in the holster and keep it awake. The home dock and car kit for this device both have magnets in them that triggers it to wake into either the alarm clock/multimedia mode or the navigation mode and prevents the device from sleeping. You must get a holster with a velcro flap or anything without a magnet. Some blackberry holsters also have a magnet in the bottom of the holster - this apparently triggers sleep mode in them, but will wake the Droid up and drain the batt.

I still dislike the physical keyboard and wish it didn't even have it. Also feel there are too many buttons on it that are unnecessary. The Power/Sleep/Wake button on the top is too small and too hard to find by feel in the dark.

Despite those few drawbacks, I no longer think that I would ditch this device if an iPhone was released to Verizon tomorrow. I think I would stick with this Droid, at least for the term of my contract, and take a look at what was available at that point. Related to that - it's been in the tech news this past week that Apple IS making an iPhone for Verizon for Summer 2010. It apparently has a dual mode chip that will work with BOTH Verizon and ATT networks. Some say it will have a smaller screen than current iPhone though. There was some bigshot ATT guy interviewed this week that was plainly PO'd at Apple about something so this fueled the prediction that the exclusive ATT/Apple relationship might be coming to an end.

Edited by McCartman 11/15/2009 00:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)