AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Well, I got me a Droid - initial impressions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 11/8/2009 23:40 (#917758 - in reply to #916998)
Subject: Re: Well, I got me a Droid - initial impressions

The Verizon guy, after explaining that my true love would have been a VZ iPhone, said that in about 3 yrs, all carriers are going to standardize to a new network protocol and all phones from that point on will be able to run on any network. He figures at that point I will be able to divorce my Droid and marry my true love. LOL!!!

I have not been successful in setting up Bluetooth file transfers. I can get the Droid paired with the Mac, but cannot transfer files either way. A Google search confirms that Android fails miserably at Bluetooth - no matter which phone it's running on. Hopefully this is an area that Google will concentrate on.

Only other issue I have had - and it may end up being fairly serious - is I lost my ringer/notifications through the external speaker. Sounds came through the internal speaker (phone earpiece), but not through the external like they should have. Shut the phone off and restarted, everything was fine again. This happened through the night - worked when I went to bed, but found out this AM after missing two phone calls that the sound wasn't working. Here's the kicker - my brother also bought one of these phones the same day I did and he has had the same issue. Has only happened to him once so far as well - and his mysteriously started working again without having to reboot. He also feels that he does not get as good of reception with the Droid that he got with his previous flip-phone in his area. I have not noticed that here - in fact, I have been quite happy with my reception so far, but have not travelled around much since getting it either. Time will tell. Brother's impressions of the Droid/Android mirror mine - the OS is a bit on the crude side, but they can do amazing things.

I downloaded a free app for mine - a GPS tracker. It runs in the background and sends tracking data every 5 seconds to Instamapper.com. I can go to their website, log in, and track where the phone is at and how fast it is traveling. It plots the route onto a Google map in real time. Something like this will be great for when my daughters go out on dates - will be able to keep tabs on where they are at and keep them honest! ;) There is a forum at their site with user stories. One clown launched his phone, running this app, on some helium filled balloons just to see where it would end up. It traveled about 25 miles and he was able to recover his phone using this service. I'm not that brave. This would also be handy for tracking down a stolen phone since the app can be activated by an SMS message if it was not running when it was stolen. Really neat stuff!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)