AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blackberry Storm Who has one?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Highplainsnotillr
Posted 10/30/2009 15:53 (#906800 - in reply to #906517)
Subject: RE: Blackberry Storm Who has one?

Western CO
I've had a Storm since Aug. For the most part I like it really well. If I could have one I would have an iPhone but we don't have AT&T coverage here and from what I've heard lately it seems that their network is being hammered by the iPhone users. There are things about the Storm that I like better than the iPhone -- the click screen (SurePress I think they call it) is nice for a positive feedback that you are actually typing something. Also the spell checker and correction seems to work really well. The Storm is the only Blackberry that I would have considered because I like the big screen -- It's much nicer for web browsing if you do any of that and for pics and stuff. It seems to me that most of the other BB's the keys would be too small for my fingers anyway.

For the minuses -- it seems that when it gets close to having the battery discharged it is hard to or sometimes nearly impossible to get it to charge. Also the phone portion will turn off if the battery gets too low and will not come back on until the battery reaches a certain level of charge (something like 10%) even if you have it plugged in to a vehicle charger. That can be kind of annoying if you let it get discharged too far and then want to make a call. The past couple of days have been a bit of an adventure as well. I found out one of the definite down sides of having a phone that needs software to make it work. I tried to update it to the 5.0 software and for some reason it dumped out in the middle of it and left the Storm in no mans land without software. After trying multiple times to get it to reload I finally got it to load and back to life. Then it's similar to a computer that you just reloaded -- make sure you do a backup before you start an update so that you can get your data back and then it will just take some time to get it back to the way you like it.

If you didn't get a Storm 2 I would probably take it back and get one of those. It doesn't look like there are a large number of changes but the buttons at the bottom look to be integrated into the touch screen (mine already has one of those stand alone buttons that is getting sticky), it has wi-fi capability and they've refined some other things. Some of the new features are available in the 5.0 software update for the Storm (like a full qwerty keyboard in portrait mode -- I hated the "suretype" version with two letters on each key, it always seemed to type the wrong letter for me.) I guess that would be one of the benefits of a phone that runs on software -- you can get some of the updates of the new phones without buying one.

All in all I would give it a positive rating -- I'm still getting used to carrying a brick around with me (my previous phone was the 2nd. gen Razor so it was really small -- but also terribly unreliable, actually that was the reason for getting the Storm I was going to be on my fourth Razor in a year all on warranty issues and I got tired of always needing to trade it in). One other thing I should mention I really like the ability to sync calendars, contacts and such with my computer and the ability to have email along. I have emailed one of my land lords during wheat planting this fall from the tractor -- nice to be able to keep up with those things in the field.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)