AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Internet to the shop??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 10/12/2009 16:47 (#882069 - in reply to #881850)
Subject: RE: Internet to the shop??

Grand Rapids, MI
What you are suggesting is not recommended, but can work in practice. The only problem I have seen is that when the phone running on the same cable rings, it can disrupt network traffic for a moment. My research has told me this is becuase of the high voltage for the ringer is causing interference.

The ordering that Ed has described is the TIA/EIA-568B standard. There is also a 568A standard. This will be important to know if you are wiring a jack, as it would likely have both standards shown and you would have to know which one to match up. If you are wiring plugs on both ends, just make them the same.

I would also though try to not split pairs. If your colors don't match what Ed described, you can substitute colors so long as they are the same on both ends. You will get better performance though if you keep one of the twisted pairs on Pin 1 & 2 and one twisted pair on pins 3 & 6 (in the order Ed described)

Good luck, if it is CAT 3 that you have, it is not tecnically rated for what you are doing, although it often works. If you are having problems, you might check if you can set your network equipment from 100Mbps to 10Mbps. For just internet this will be plenty fast. Some network equipment downgrades speed automatically if it is getting too many errors at the faster speed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)