AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Organic Eggs...Prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John SD
Posted 9/25/2009 15:13 (#859968 - in reply to #859935)
Subject: Re: Organic Eggs...Prices

Joe, this is the way I see it. The organically produced grain itself, all other things being equal, is probably the same quality as your conventionally produced grain.

The difference I see is organic grain is produced in a significantly less efficient manner from an input vs yield standpoint as compared to conventional grain. This because organic actually requires more labor input, fuel/tillage/equipment investment, and also resulting in the weeds you see causing lower yield and additional processing of crop to achieve clean sample, and more land resources needed to achieve the same results.

I guess to sum up my thinking: Because organic is a less efficient way of production, then it is imperative to be paid more for it just to stay even. Or why even bother.

I don't begrudge anyone who has found a way to profit from a niche market like this from doing so. But normally I avoid organic products in the grocery store because they usually are higher priced with little or no proof they are higher quality.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)