AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ok Ladies Not picking on you, but...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Don Kraft
Posted 9/21/2009 15:25 (#854855)
Subject: Ok Ladies Not picking on you, but...

I have an observation the past few years about aging female relatives and acquaintences. Many lose their confidence to drive in traffic and gradually withdraw from the highways and freeways. What I find is they become afraid of high speed traffic such as freeways and avoid them. Then it is highways and busy streets and eventually they have a self imposed restriction on where they can go.

I Realize they are threatened by the danger and perhaps it is understandable, but the gradual withdrawal and refusal to drive in such areas will eventually cripple your ability to get around as more and more things become "threatening" to you. Thus I think it is important to keep yourselves using those roads even though your comfort level may not be up to par. The more you do so the more capability you will retain.

To be sure much of it is the lack of experience as dear old hubby does most of the driving. Even though he is just as capable of error as you are. If your riding with him you are just as likely to get hurt as you would be if you were driving. Evidently my wife is a much better driver than I because she requires much less coaching from the other seat.

Anyway I find my wife withdrawing from some of the better roads and I know she has cousins her age and older that are greatly limited where they go. I encourage my wife to do more of the city driving because I don't want to see her withdraw like the others. She is not forced to drive but encouraged to drive. Yes she is a good driver but I don't want her to apply self imposed restrictions on herself.

It might not be worth much but I thought I would mention it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)