AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How do you get the smell out of a washing machine?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

judythe
Posted 9/17/2009 14:01 (#850307 - in reply to #850201)
Subject: Re: How do you get the smell out of a washing machine?

Mechanicville, NY
Easy!

Get a bottle of plain white vinegar - cheap stuff - 16 ouncesish. Fill washer to the highest water level with hot water IF you can, but no clothes. I only ever use cold water to do laundry and this works perfectly for me anyway. Dump in the bottle of vinegar and add 1 cup of baking soda as well. This will make things foam and churn. You want that. Run the longest cycle you can and then run another cycle on cold water just to rinse well. If your washer really stinks horribly you may have to do this twice, however, I have never had to do it twice even after I washed my sons Marine gear!

Vinegar really works well on soap scum and whatnot, and when combined with baking soda, it makes a truly impressive display of foaming so don't be alarmed if it really churns.

Here are a few ideas to prevent this odor from happening again:

1. leave the washer lid open as often as possible to prevent the growth of mildew inside the barrel.

2. Run a cycle through once in a while with no clothes - just water. Always use the highest water level and longest cycle.

3. Once in a while run the vinegar/baking soda solution but stop it mid cycle to let it soak and foam for an hour or so. Then continue the cycle.

4. Washing soda and borax are also awesome to use with white vinegar.

Let me know how it goes :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)