AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Measuring corn depth
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Oliver1
Posted 4/29/2024 08:10 (#10722330 - in reply to #10721736)
Subject: RE: Measuring corn depth

Alton, Ia
Shimmy1 - 4/28/2024 17:42

NUT - 4/26/2024 19:57

Sitting around talking today the conversation turned to measuring the depth of planted corn. I measure to the top of the seed one guy said the bottom of the seed then we watched a YouTube video where the guy said the middle of the seed. So what does everyone else do?

It is very interesting that this thread has popped up. We had this exact discussion last spring after planting.

For the last 11 years, I have pretty much exclusively planted the corn. Last spring, the decision was made to add a planter to the fleet, a 36R22. I can only run one planter, so one of the other guys got the new one. Mine is a 24R30. We also decided to do a field trial 22" corn vs. 30" corn. It was variable rate, but 2k more across the board on the 22", that was an attempt to give the 22" corn an edge in the trial. All received 3 gal of 6-24-6 in-furrow, and planting depth was SUPPOSED to be 1.75" (DON'T ASK, it is what it is). We did 8 trials, 4 each for each planter. I started and did 4 passes, then the 22" planter made 4 passes, then I did 4, so on and so forth. AFTER the field was planted, I was out checking, and discovered that all the 22" corn got planted at 1.5", bottom of the seed trench. All my corn, like it was always measured, was 1.75" to the top of the seed.

Well, each section was combined separately and weighed. The best 22" corn section was 4 bushels less than the WORST 30" section, with the best 30" beating the best 22" by 14 bushels, and the worst 30" beating the worst 22" corn by 10 bushels.

Now, I don't know if depth played a factor in these results, but my ag guy, the guy who passed earlier this month, insisted that it did. What say you guys?

So the 22" corn was planted shallow, 1.25 to the seed maybe, and possibly too high of population. That shallow probably definitely hurt yields. Many people make the assumption when you go narrow row corn to crank up the rates. Don't. We plant 20" corn 500, maybe 1000 vs 30's, on average rates of 34K. What is your "normal" rate?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)