AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Boundary Waters Canoe Area
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Iastfan112
Posted 4/27/2024 00:17 (#10719601 - in reply to #10719224)
Subject: RE: Boundary Waters Canoe Area

NC Iowa
Like many areas the BWCA is busier than it was 20 years ago and on the sort of notice you're talking about many of the most desirable paddling entry points are gobbled up already, the ones with short portages and no motors allowed as well as not suffering from recent forest fires, Pagami Creek fire being most notable.

I'm less familiar with Gunflint routes but given the late notice I've done several trips in the area most people skip, the separated SW portion. Crab Lake/Cummings are beautiful lakes but they do have a sizable portage in, though it is relatively easy for the length. Slim Lake EP is also nice if you're after ease of portage but you're limited in the amount of exploration you can feasibly do. Trout Lake is large and technically allows motors but I've not seen them during the times I've gone, albeit I believe it was always during the week I was on the lake, I suspect there would be a bit of motor traffic on the weekend. The initial float on Vermilion can be a bit annoying in that regard as it's a busy lake.

Alternatively the Fall Lake EP almost always has permits and gives you access to a huge area of the BWCA but you will see motorized boats there almost guaranteed.

Edited by Iastfan112 4/27/2024 00:18
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)