AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

well wasnt expecting that
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 4/17/2024 09:51 (#10709941 - in reply to #10709645)
Subject: RE: well wasnt expecting that

Kingston,Mi
My realization that I needed (not just wanted) a credit card came in the early 70's. I had Christmas leave from the Army, flew to Detroit, took the bus to Greyhound in downtown Detroit and bought a bus ticket to Kingston Mi. When I went to board the bus they were doing security checks like the airports were doing and I missed the bus while waiting for others to clear. There were 3 others who also missed the bus to the Thumb so we decided we would go back to Detroit Metro and rent a car. Problem was a certain criminal demographic had a desire to acquire Mercury Cougars at a discount (pay cash and never turn in the rental) so the only way to rent anything was with a credit card. The 4 of us had exactly zero credit cards, it was now about 10:00 at night and the car rental desks wanted to close. We pleaded, we showed them signed leave orders, we showed them plenty of cash, no was the firm answer. Finally 1 of our group, who was a adjunct professor of journalism at a state university in Saginaw, showed the clerk at an off brand rental car desk his AP or UPI press credentials and they rented a Malibu to him for cash. At that time I carried a Humble Oil gas only credit card, they were not impressed.

Cash may be king but try renting a hotel, motel or car when you need to, you will find out that walking from 1 park bench to the next and sleeping under a newspaper will take the thrill out traveling quickly.

When I was a government employee, I had a required government credit card, it was in my name, I had to pay the balance monthly if I used it and then submit for a reimbursement. I was only supposed to use it to purchase travel, lodging and meals, all other uses were excluded.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)