AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Getting electric
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 4/16/2024 21:25 (#10709435 - in reply to #10709180)
Subject: RE: Getting electric

North of London
I suppose everyone had their own plan and desires when hydro became available.

I understand hydro was installed one our road in the early 30ies and my grandfather immediately connected.
My memories begin in mid 40ies and we had lights and a sump pump in the basement (a necessity in our basement) a milking machine and an electric grinder for grain to feed the livestock.

I think it must have been late 40ies perhaps 1950 when an electric stove came into the kitchen and when my mother had twins in December of 1949 a refrigerator was purchased shortly after.

My memory says an electric washing machine arrived in the basement in the late 40ies too

Probably early 50ies a new furnace was installed that had a fan on it to distribute the heat from the coal and wood that fired it.
A big improvement from the old furnace that just allowed heat to rise by convection and more of the house was opened up and heated as before that many rooms including the upstairs were closed off with the wood cookstove keeping the one large dinning room warm and cozy but rest of house had little heat

BTW before an electric stove the wood stove was moved out to the summer kitchen in the warm season so cooking did not heat the entire house.

Much different now with large houses heated to tshirt conditions all year and cooled to comfort in hot season all with hydro as the power behind it.

And water was pumped by windmill until a pressure system was installed in early 50ies.
We did have water on tap because windmill pumped water into a tank in attic so gravity supplied water to taps even in the upstairs washroom where a hot water tank stood that was heated by the fire in the cookstove except when the stove was moved to the summer kitchen then hot water came from the reservoir on the stove
No shower and baths were a once a week luxury

Edited by OntarioCanuck 4/16/2024 21:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)