AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to me ag leader
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/4/2024 06:25 (#10693042 - in reply to #10692449)
Subject: RE: New to me Ag Leader

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
and91a - 4/3/2024 16:31

Just picked up a 24 row jd with surevac meter covers and it has ag leader modules on it. I’ve got a gen 1 20/20 but my understanding is I need all precision modules to run it with that. I use Trimble fm750 for guidance. Can I buy an ag leader monitor for clutches and tap into the 750 to tell it when to shut off? Also what monitor should a guy buy to run it new or used thanks in advance.

You indicate that the planter has Sure Vac covers and Ag Leader Modules. I would assume it also has the wiring on the planter leading to the planter hitch. My guess is that there is a large AMP connector at the hitch point. This large connector would have 4 large connectors around the outside with four small connectors in the center. The upper and power large pins form a pair for high current power and ground. The left and right large pins form another pair for pair for high current power and ground. By having two sets of power/ground pairs, a large amount of current is available from the tractor to the planter. The electrical load on the high current can sometimes be handled by one pair but both pairs are usually provided in case more current is needed.

The four small pins in the center of the hitch make up the CAN connection. This is how information is transferred between the display and any modules in the tractor back/forth to the modules on the planter.

There could be several modules on the planter dealing with seed. There could be a STTM (Seed Tube Monitoring Module) This can be used with the original Deere seed tube sensors to show many aspects of seed monitoring It would replace the orginal Deere seed monitor and information such as population, skips, doubles etc. are shown on the Ag Leader display.

Another module is called the Clutch Control module, You likely have that module since the planter has Sure Vacs, it is used to shut off individual rows or sections to avoid double planting for point rows etc. A single Clutch Control module can handle 12 sections. For a 24 row planter, a common setup would be to use 12-2 row sections.

Yet another module might be a hydraulic drive module. This controls a pair orbit motors to run the seed meters rather than ground drive. This allows the operator to select a desired population on the go and the system will turn the seed shaft the proper speed to attain that population.

The planter might also have some other modules that work with other aspects of planting such as spray and/or starter fertilizer. Ground force control and monitoring are also possible.

These modules can be mix and match so there are many possible combinations. The planter should also have an Ag Leader implement switch or two on it to inform the Ag Leader systems when the planter is UP or DOWN.

Inside the tractor you would need an Ag Leader display. There are several possible displays that could work for this situation. The current display that I would recommend in the InCommand 1200. A smaller InCommand 800 is available but lacks some of the capabilities that might be important with your planter. The InCommand 1200 replaced the Intgegra which would be suitable for the planter but lacks a few features that may or may not be interest to you.

You would also need the wiring from the display to the tractor batteries and any modules inside the tractor cab. This cable would lead out the back of the tractor to mate with the planter as described above.

Besides the display in the cab you will also need another module which is necessary to convey your intentions concerning section switches and product switches. There are two possibilities. The original style consists of a black box with connectors called the Auxiliary Input Module. It is connected to a switch box that typically has a Master switch and 10 smaller switches on it. The switch box is sometimes called a "dumb" switch box because it does not have the brains to communicate with the CAN system.

Another approach is to use an Ag Leader smart switch box that does contain the electronics of the Auxiliary Input Module above, all within the same enclosure. This often results in less cab clutter. These two approaches are functionally equivalent. You need one or the other but never both in the same tractor.

Hopefully you got one or the other with the planter, but my guess is the former owner kept the display and switch box/module for other purposes.

You also need a GPS source in the tractor. Since you already have a Trimble 750 in the tractor it can be used for its former purposes and also provide the GPS information to the Ag Leader system. The GPS sources does not directly decide if a section should be planting or not. It provided the information to the Ag Leader system so the Ag Leader system can make the decision..

If the Trimble is connected to a Trimble steering modules such as a Nav II, a branch cable can be installed to feed GPS into the Ag Leader system. Within the 750 menu system, the output messages can be configured (usually a one time process).

The level of GPS accuracy is dependent on the Trimble 750. The Ag Leader will make its decisions based on the that GPS information. Having better correction sources such as OmniStar, RTK etc. would generally lead to better results on the Ag Leader side.

It should be possible to continue to use you 20/20 as in the past and use the Ag Leader display only for the Sure Vac clutches. That approach would still require an Ag Leader display, switch box/module, connection to GPS and cabling to the planter.

What I described above would be very similar to what we use on our farm. We do not use hydraulic drive but have several Ag Leader modules mounted around the ladder on our 1770NT CCS planter.

Edited by tedbear 4/4/2024 06:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)