AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dana 70 front axle dilemma
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Bern
Posted 3/25/2024 14:53 (#10679885)
Subject: Dana 70 front axle dilemma

Mount Vernon, WA
I'm working on a NH Genesis tractor with the Dana 70 front axle, which should be the same as the boxcar Magnums as I understand. I brought it in to replace both leaking hub oil seals. Upon disassembly, I could tell from the sloppy sealing job done on the outside cover that the final drive had been apart before.

The sun gear shaft slid right out by hand, and I didn't think much of it until I read the instructions that noted you should need a prybar to get it out. Now that I'm trying to put it back together, the manual notes that I need to ensure that the sun gear shaft is fully seated inside the snap ring in the drive yoke. Problem is, I shove the shaft in and it goes in just so far and stops. No amount of beating or pushing can get the shaft to climb over the snap ring. Closer examination of various wear marks reveals that the shaft never got fully pushed in the last time. Now it appears that the snap ring has dirt packed in behind it preventing it from allowing the shaft to climb over it. I have this problem with both sides.

I'd have to pull the steering knuckle off to get better access to the yoke and snap ring, and I'm not looking forward to fighting those king pins, which are likely seized in the knuckle and will give a big fight. Anyone here ever faced this dilemma before? Do you think I could blow the dirt out from behind the snap ring if I rigged up some sort of stubby 90 degree air nozzle?

The first pic below shows the shaft bottomed - as you can see the sun gear sticks out almost 1/4" from flush with the ring gear. The second pic shows me using a puller as a pusher. I put as much force as I dared on it without success.

(sun gear (full).jpg)

(pusher (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments sun gear (full).jpg (93KB - 16 downloads)
Attachments pusher (full).jpg (154KB - 14 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)