AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MSU/MCA Bull sale
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Baby Robin
Posted 3/17/2024 23:56 (#10669426 - in reply to #10668881)
Subject: RE: MSU/MCA Bull sale

Fontanelle, IA
Sidneyfarmer - 3/17/2024 16:03

I hope they don't shoot the breed in the foot. A friend who sold his dairy herd and got in to the beef cattle a few years before I did, got in to those French Salers cattle with some other guys here in Michigan. Some of the others got greedy and started trying to sell every bull that hit the ground as service bulls without any testing or anything. They flushed that whole enterprise down the toilet as quick as it got started. I used a Salers on about 30 cows one year. I couldn't tell the calves from Angus, but I haven't even heard of the breed in fifteen years or more. They're gone.

I've watched things change on the MCA sale over the last 15-20 years or so. Seems like almost everything that was black was an Angus for a long time. There were more Hereford and Charolais back then too. No Charolais this year and only two Herefords, a lot of Simmental, Sim Angus and Red Angus.

Sorry and I’ll take all the friendly fire for this…..

But, you could always tell the Salers from Angus….. the Salers could clear any lot fence like a deer. The angus just watched the Salers’ cloud of dust with a “WTF just happened” look
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)