AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Windows 7 RC
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

vstk
Posted 7/1/2009 20:39 (#762803 - in reply to #761831)
Subject: Re: Windows 7 RC

I dont do anything that sounds really cool .......... LOL . I just use it all the time often doing too many things at the same time. There may be half a dozen drives slaved into it doing anything from scanning for viruses to running really slow and resource intensive recovery software. Last drive I recovered from ran for almost 48 hours ............. and sucked the RAM. It was one that another shop had reformatted and not saved any data , then told him it was gone forever............ I got about 90% of it, and was lucky enough to get the important stuff. I might be doing down loads from who knows how many sites ........ I like for it to be as responsive with 30 things running as it is when 1 is running ............ I may be running any number of programs ............. could I get by with less........... prolly ............... do I want to get by with less........ nope !! I want the additional monitors so I can spread things out ............ I have worked with two for the last 10 years or so ............... couldnt work with less........... But I can see ways to use two additional monitors. I watch very little TV ........... often when I do it is on a tuner card and when I am working............ I could see one doing that and still leaving others to work on. I have a ton of offices I take care of running multiple monitors ....... and some running 3 and 4. One instance is a parts manager ............ he loves it.

What I see with my customers is this .............. they can tell the difference just doing their normal everyday tasks ................ the cost difference in RAM is pretty small ............... if $50 in RAM will make one smokin ............. why not. I refuse to build cheap or underpowered systems........... when people call and ask for one I tell them I am not your guy. When poeple sit in front of something I designed and built I want the WOW factor to come into play. Not all of my systems are awesome and smoking ............... but none are underpowered and most will live out their existance with out any upgrades or with very few. I have one office that is running on a 5 yr old system .......... knows they need to replace it ........... but insists it still runs better than most new systems they have seen. I never build one with "just enough". I build a lot of systems for security systems ............. monitoring cameras and for access control .......... I want them to be stable and to be solid. Too much power is much safer than just enough.

As for the 8 GIG ........... I just delivered one today to an accountant ......... her software used to take a long time to load .............. on a basic 2 GIG of RAM system that most people would be proud to own. Her time is valuable .......... if she saves a few seconds everytime she clicks something ........... how much time does she save in a day, or a week. How nice is to click on something like Excel and have it fully opened before you have the mouse button all the way up. Dont look at it as over kill until you have tried it.

Do my own systems seem over the top sometimes............... very much so .............. but would you rather take your computer to a computer guy that has my system ............. or one that insists 98se and 64Mb of RAM is all we will ever need......... LOL ........... sometimes it is a bit of advertising ............. and something I can show off.

My original comment was really just this ............... there is no real advantage to a 64 bit system unless you take advantage of the additional RAM.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)