AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making Rx Maps
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Carl In Georgia
Posted 9/6/2009 20:22 (#837457 - in reply to #836767)
Subject: Re: Making Rx Maps

Ashburn, GA, (very close to Heaven!)

wood_6 - 9/6/2009 06:47 I have boundary files that were made with farmworks a few years back. "They have the recs, and may have the soil sample results. If so they are ready to go in anything you get." (Carl) I'm not sure what "recs" are. Could you help me out? I would like to use formulas to make my maps, so it's looking like SMS Basic is out. Hmm.

I have lots of hours of experience logged with Farmworks Site Pro, and more recently SST Summit, so can't speak too much for SMS.

As for recs, if somebody did VRA on your fields, those rates are the recs. My guess is that those recs are in your spreadsheet files, along with nutrient and pH levels. If so, everything ought to be "importable" into another software program, SMS, Farmworks, whatever.

I think you said something about VRA and Site Mate. Site Mate uses Shape Files for VRA. Shape Files can be pulled into most mapping programs.

Now, back to working on formulas and recs. It sounds like your spreadsheet has lab nutrient level results. Make a copy of your "soil samples" spreadsheet, open it in Excel, and create columns for "your" recs. Write your formulas in the new columns. Most mapping programs will let you import the new recs to go with the samples, as calculated in your formulas. Then export the VRA file.

This process can be a little tedious, but it is not overwhelming. This is why your soil sample company is charging for the service! Believe me, it takes longer than ten minutes to turn out, review, and verify accuracy. You have to have the applications and skills, plus the agronomy experience to make it happen.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)