AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finances between you and your spouse or sig other, or family members?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

GrainTrader
Posted 2/9/2019 09:05 (#7308461 - in reply to #7307444)
Subject: RE: Finances between you and your spouse or sig other, or family members?

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
Can’t comment on the remarrying with kids, but my wife and I are a team in all aspects. She works full time (4 out of 5 days from home). That allows her to be available if needed for a quick ride or bring lunch when we are in the fields. She makes good money for a person without a 4 year degree. I work full time but on a rotating shift of days/nights/weekdays/weekends/holidays, whatever my days lies on I work accept Christmas Day. My wife’s flexible schedule allows for this schedule to work for me as far as her picking up or dropping off our daughter at daycare when I cannot because I work late or early or all night.
All our town job money gets deposited in the same account. She may have a few hundred dollars tucked away as MAD money and I get a monthly bonus from work that can be $50-400 that I might keep to myself for a toy or out to lunch money, but I’d say 99% of our town job money goes together and we spend on bills and personal wants/needs.

The farm money stays in a separate account. We take occasional withdraws from it but it mostly stays in their and get reinvested into our farming operation (about 600 acres). She gets resentful at times about that, but she also knows their may be a $20,000 farm mortgage payment or $30,000 seed bill come out any time and she’s ok with that. I’ll consult with her about bigger machinery purchases, especially if it’s somehikg we don’t necessarily need today, but it a building block for the future.

I lost my job and went without monthly pay for 4 months. We are conservative when needed and we have always had a savings account for times like that. Luckily we were prepared to not be prepared and we weathered the storm and were good.

It take a team to run our family/farm. I know of married couples that act like roommates when it comes to bills/money. That’s not a team in my opinion.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)