AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Health Insurance.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

SLC
Posted 2/5/2019 20:36 (#7299684 - in reply to #7298736)
Subject: RE: Health Insurance.

About a year ago I had a couple mini-strokes. Fortunately , no lasting damage. We and doctors were puzzled as to the cause, and finally traced them to sutures coming loose on a mechanical heart valve that was installed 10 years ago. We had just gotten on CHM beginning last Jan. So it was considered a pre-existing condition. We had signed with CHM for their Gold Level. What that meant was that they would cover up to a limit on preexisting conditions. I ended up having surgery to resuture the valve, which was not replaced, since it was working fine. Got a 40% discount on a $77,000 hospital bill, by negotiating and paying it when I got the bill. Had a couple DR bills too, that we were able to get discounted, though not that much. It took a while, but we got about $25,000 for hospital and DR bills. Since then we have been getting "gifts" from CHM each month from the prayer page donations. This will continue until all the bills I submitted are covered. Definitely more hands on work involved for the patient, but I feel we are well taken care of. Plus saving $1000/ month on insurance.
When I got home, we withdrew (emptied) our HSA, and I got a "personal" loan from our bank to be able to pay the bills right away. Told my banker, I don't need a loan for new farm equipment, but what about a loan for a new heart? He did not have a problem with that, and I repaid it with $$$ from CHM. So we're all happy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)