AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

California wildfires
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

JimS
Posted 11/13/2018 08:51 (#7103079 - in reply to #7102377)
Subject: RE: California wildfires

If you are insured for fire, they pay. Sometimes, they want an itemized list. Doesn't matter the disaster. THis happened to me when moving in the military and the warehouse leaked soaking my stuff. I had to have a list and receipts for everything. If anything was a gift, they did not pay as I had not paid (Take pictures of everything. Do a 360 video of every room in your home and shop.).

The big problem is building codes rapidly changing. The cost of rebuilding many homes here in Sonoma County greatly exceeds their value. The average rebuild costs here are in excess of $500 a square foot. The average, nation wide, I think, is $200. They now require in home fire sprinklers, fire resistant material, fire vents, extreme earth quake engineering. Where slab foundations for barns and garages was once acceptable, they now require piers 9-15 feet deep and thicker slabs. A 20x40 barn was nearly $60K in concrete. Many of these requirements are new and were not in place the day of the fire, so no insurance for that. Also, as rebuild costs are 2-3 sometimes 4 times the sale value of the home, insurance companies and owners weren't securing such policies. Excavation of a 20x40 barn by FEMA took $40k in insurance funds. So no, insurance companies are not paying as owners were not covered for that.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)