AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

this is the dryest wet spell...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

jd-tom
Posted 5/13/2018 17:16 (#6758649 - in reply to #6757162)
Subject: RE: this is the dryest wet spell...

SW Minnesota

Anyone who wants to is welcome to bring your buckets, barrels, tanker trucks, you name it, to the southern Minnesota/northern Iowa area and cart off all the water you want. I think I speak for everyone in these areas when I say we DO NOT NEED NOR WANT ANY MORE RAIN FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS TO A MONTH!!! I just barely got my small grain and alfalfa seeded last Monday before it started raining again. We haven't turned a wheel since then and it looks like not much will happen this week either. There are a few nice days forecast, but about the time it starts to dry out even a little bit they have rain forecast again thru next weekend. All my corn is still in the bag, and I'm certainly not the only one in this area in the same boat.

This s**t is really getting old. We have been fighting varying degrees of too wet at any given time during the growing season since 1993, with the possible exception of 2012. Even then, we still had 160 bu corn and I put up beautiful hay that summer. And all of the crops were sold for a good price as well.

I don't know what happened to the weather pattern around here in the early 90's, but pretty much any time we even begin to think it is getting a little on the dry side, it starts raining again and doesn't know when to quit. I'm 54 right now and always thought I would keep farming until my early 70's as long as my health holds out. But if this keeps up for much longer, I may decide to retire early. I'm getting too old to keep fighting this crap every year.

(Sorry for the rant - maybe if I vent it here now it will keep me out of the funny farm later...   :)

Edited by jd-tom 5/13/2018 17:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)