AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

this is the dryest wet spell...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Deere6
Posted 5/12/2018 21:43 (#6757408 - in reply to #6757170)
Subject: RE: this is the dryest wet spell...

Hi chief, I saw your posts a few days ago but didn't have time to respond so I'll put it here. Neat info I'm glad you found it. A few points to make:
1 monthly breakdown would be interesting and much more telling than yearly, especially when comparing to years like 2012; timing is everything. I will attach our rainfall totals from last year. For the year about 40", seems normal right? Looking closer 13" fell in less than 2 weeks at end of April first of may, destroying what we had planted. Puts a whole new spin on it.
2 its easy to see looking at your data why you and many others thought it was so terribly dry and in bad shape. 50", plus 10" from normal two of those years to 30", minus 10" from normal the last 2 years. That is a huge difference, almost half the rainfall! So you went from seeing creeks out of banks, ponds overflowing, and tiles running year around to none of that.
3 tile, ponds, creeks are a sign of EXcess moisture, water that is not needed or has run off. Tile is getting rid of excess, so because they aren't flowing doesn't mean the crop is short.
4 your data actually proved my point perfectly well from the other thread: most of the high producing areas of the corn belt need way less than normal precip to have a good crop. So in your case 75% of normal was sufficient for a record crop. With cool temps and ideal timing it could take much less yet. So think eastern and northern corn belt; too much moisture has a tendenacy to hurt yields more than not enough.

(IMG_0006 (full).PNG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0006 (full).PNG (79KB - 86 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)