AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Final Update: Results are in on the field I’ve provided updates on
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SoDak Farms
Posted 10/24/2017 02:13 (#6324070 - in reply to #6323901)
Subject: RE: Final Update: Results are in on the field I’ve provided updates on

EC SoDak
I definitely lucked out with the rain, more rain, and rain again with cool/borderline cold weather the last half of the growing season to allow the crop to pollinate and fill out. I guess I’m not sure why I’d need someone who’s harvested 20 bushel corn to do my crop scouting. Business management and solid marketing requires a plan that is build on a solid foundation yet fluid and ever evolving, especially in farming. As the other SD commenter pointed out, I said it was getting dry and needed a good drink or I could have trouble. 4-6’ tall corn is not the norm and shows the beginnings of trouble, add another week or two and things could start getting ugly. But I, as many in the corn belt can attest for their own fields, the crop finishing weather was A-typical whether it was wet, cool, or both and rebounded a lot of crop to overachieve. But, none the less, I provided periodic comments AND pictures of my crop throughout the growing season to show people what I was seeing. Both when things looked somewhat bleak, yet was quick to warn when things looked bright. I could be wrong, but that’s more intel than most on here provided. If people took that as a disaster or bad crop and are angry about it, I guess the best I can say is don’t follow my comments then.

My assumption is that many figured SD is a barren land that hopes to squeak out a crop. So when people started hearing about the bad drought in the central 1/3 of the state, many pinned their hopes to us having burnt up crops to improve their bottom line in these bleak times. My advice would be to spread your risk with appropriate hedging throughout the marketing year when it historically and statistically makes sense, along with *some* hedges for the next years crop. To satisfy the fluidity of a marketing plan, have some bushels available for hedging during A-typical marketing times.

Edited by SoDak Farms 10/24/2017 02:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)