AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat is Cheaper than corn.. again.. edit add: and even SORGHUM!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 10/6/2017 05:59 (#6290660)
Subject: Wheat is Cheaper than corn.. again.. edit add: and even SORGHUM!!

On the WASDE they have wheat feeding at about the same to a little bit lower than last year.. NO WAY!!

Once again from here all the way down to the Tx panhandle Wheat is CHEAPER than Corn by as much as $.30 a  bushel..

Take Hart Texas for example..

( http://www.norag-us.com/markets/cash.php?location_filter=18366&showcwt=0 )

Hart & Flagg Cash Prices

Hart & Flagg
NameDeliveryDelivery EndFutures MonthFutures PriceChangeBasisCash PriceSettlementNotes
Corn09/01/201711/30/2017December 2017349-2-0-240$3.890-0Southwest
Milo09/01/201711/30/2017December 2017349-2-0-2-20$3.290-0Southwest
Soybeans09/01/201711/30/2017November 2017967-2-1-0-65$9.020-0Southwest
Wheat09/01/201710/31/2017December 2017434-2-1-6-75$3.590-0Southwest

It's not THAT wide here.. but certainly on a per hundredweight basis.. Wheat is a cheaper feed all the way through feedlot country up to here.

I guarantee you someone is using it..

Last year at this time the Wheat basis started to improve.. quietly by about $0.70 per bushel..  It's total BS that it should be this wide.

Feedyards are still grinding corn also... We're 75% done on Corn harvest.. with 50% shipped to the feedlots already..   Crazy year..  I'm going to be OUT of corn at this pace by Thanksgiving..  I'm down to maybe 10%.. 15% unpriced. 

Down to my last bin of corn... already.  Either the dryland crop was way smaller than I expected or guys are holding on REAL TIGHT to my east..???

Let's see here.. 60 loads to bring out of the field.. 38 in the bin.. 45 delivered already.. okay that's what we've done..75% done but the last 25% is all irrigated.. vs the dryland yielding about 20% lol.. okay.. so.. there ya go.. straight poop.  Shipping 5 loads per week..  out in 8 weeks unless we can get back in the field.. surely by then but alot to do before we put the corn header back on.. finish the beans.. plant wheat.. etc..  It used to be like this before the big dryland expansion.. just goes to show ya what a poor yield will do..  the dryland crop matters.. more than people realize.. beau coup wonderful when it's there... not so much when it's not.. WHOLE Farm dryland corn averages of.. 35 bushels.  SUCKS!!  We were like 52 but we got rain.. and yes we're gonna have an insurance claim.

We're shipping corn NOW that most year's wouldn't go until after the first.. buyers call... 

This map doesn't show it as well but between the shift to cotton and the late harvest out west.. and letting too much of last year's crop get shipped out by rail.. the SW is deficit on Corn.  places of +.20.. +.25 delivered even in SW Kansas..

edit add: see my post below Lyons ethanol plant is bidding $3.40 for Sorghum vs $3.25 today for Wheaties.at the local coop..  AGAIN.. we can GRIND WHEAT in the ethanol mix..   The Wheat market is Vapor Locked in wide basis clipping storage for these large coops and commercials in bunkers.. and storage and whatever else.. when it SHOULD be fed. ground.. or exported.. those Storing wheat are making MORE than those GROWING WHEAT..  something needs to change..

Edited by JonSCKs 10/7/2017 10:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)