AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for a fire truck
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 1/22/2017 18:11 (#5786541 - in reply to #5785887)
Subject: RE: Looking for a fire truck

Brush trucks have been the hot thing for rural departments and about any department wanting just one more apparatus. The used trucks all seem plenty high priced and of course new is insane. We've gone through a time when funding for rural departments became a priority. Our rural dept. went from almost salvage/need a big pickup to pull it home to $500K worth of trucks in 10 years - I had to take a break from the dept for a while, but it hadn't slowed much 2 years ago when I was there. I think this has pushed prices up pretty hard and all the guys I was around who didn't pay taxes seemed to think more is always the answer. Anyway, I can understand why you guys are wanting to roll your own.

A few things to consider:

1. You've already figured out gas over diesel. Newer diesels just need too much attention and you guys pretty much want it to run when you jump in.

2. Texas and Oil areas have quite a few F450 and F550's around that are under 100K miles and some have 4wd. Might be worth search

I'm not sure this will work, but here is a search I did: http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/Gasoline-4x4-Ford-F550-Trucks-...

I'm not sure what brand you'd like but the ford f450/550 is still a pickup cab on a medium duty chassis. Dodge has something similar, but they are newer and expensive. In Chevy you end up with a kodiak after the 3500

3. I'd go with 4wd (mainly because it's pain to get the fire truck stuck)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)