AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Motor uses oil. They think it could be bad piston rings.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pupdaddy12003
Posted 10/22/2016 10:44 (#5594325 - in reply to #5594302)
Subject: RE: Spark plug inspection then compression check

NW Central Ohio
...I think most of your commercial engines will run up to 8% leakage when they're in good condition...I know we've had race engines test about 1%, but that is with overlapping rings. A compression test really isn't going to do any good deciding if the motor uses oil. Your oil ring is the one doing the scraping...and if it loses tension or has a nick in it, you'll burn oil. On our race engines we tried using low tension oil rings to limit the amount of friction in the engine...but always had too much oil getting into the combustion chamber on a couple cylinders. This was on a wet sump engine like a car, where the oil pump is in the pan. So we went back to running standard tension rings for the oil ring. I assume you want to know how to get the engine to burn the oil required for warranty coverage. I don't know how a dealer is going to argue with someone who claims their engine will meet the requirement for a warranted action. It's not like they can seal your engine and drive it 1000 miles to see if it burns more or less. I would surmise the higher RPMs will splash more oil into position for it to burn....but that's just a guess.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)