AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PVC/Y drop question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 8/4/2016 20:58 (#5451311)
Subject: PVC/Y drop question

Morris, IL
Got a chance to try my Y drops out other day. Overall i was pretty happy with them, i ran them between an average of almost 90k very lush corn plants per acre, edge row of strip intercropped corn. Way behind when i wanted to run them but better late then never, not flooded but kept raining, finally just went little wet and went around prairie pothole. Figured out it's a sure fire way to get it to stop raining, haha. Not that we really need it but i found it interesting. Ran till 10 to finish other night before rains they said.

But anyway i found few dry areas and this is where it was placing the N, was pretty impressed with that. Come back few hours later it kind of seemed to pull it self in as soil is wet down 1/2" or less everywhere if not black on top. It seemed to want to jerk a little bit, not a ton but every once in while it would seem to get caught up and then jerk forward. We have few volunteer corn plants in the field and kind of blame that partly. I also think just part of way they are built. I ran 5mph, seemed like best speed and i'll be sizing orifices for 4-6mph from now on.

One minor leak problem is easily fixable, but when i took them off sprayer today i noticed they had bent a bit. I did 120 acres with them. They are very cheap but i'm not going to do any more this year but was wondering if you guys think these would last 500-1000 acres a year? I never looked at this part start to finish so i'm not sure if it happened in the first round and stayed or got worse all across the field. Think it would get progressively worse until it buckles or will they keep running like this a while? They are dirt cheap to built, i need the light weight setup for my light weight boom.

Here is previous thread on the topic but i've been working on something like this for while now.

Thanks in advance.

(IMG_0734.jpg)

(IMG_0688.jpg)

(IMG_0735.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0734.jpg (188KB - 41 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0688.jpg (287KB - 37 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0735.jpg (301KB - 34 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)