AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gathering gain cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Macttle
Posted 5/9/2016 22:34 (#5291570 - in reply to #5290783)
Subject: RE: Gathering gain cattle

I got your nerve at some point - that's ok that's how I teach
IVE never at any point say you gotta use a horse - I'm not a horse person, they are slaves that's it, they get through rough country, training wise I'm horrible - I'm good at making runaways and hard mouthed trailer sour nags. I'm ok with that.. Trying to get better ? Yes!
I get by, I watched a few good people with cattle and learned a different way.. (One of them does everything on foot) Am I the best? Absolutely not. But I can get a handle on anyone's cows here and walk them to the corrals. Will some take longer than a suck wagon? Sure will
I've had cows that don't like confinement , no matter the treat, first couple times they come in - then they just watch from 100ft (edit to add - win I used treats to lure - this was a turning point and I learned and adapted)
I like walking cows into corrals, or down the road - or loading a bull or cow at the windmill instead of driving to the corrals if it's a distance - knowing how to work one allows this
The ratshot as I've said is last resort - bull gets on the fight, a cow has you down... Etc etc IT WILL TURN THEM
I welcome you to visit any time - I honestly think you will enjoy it - if you need excitement I can find some
Sunday we trimmed a colt that has ran off 2 farriers
He tries to paw your head, broke a set of hobbles and about killed himself.. Nervous fella.. After 45 mins he stood for us (no drugs) it's about understanding what's going on in the mind of the creature you are working with... Also in this new colts instance - working with there feet at a young age - he's probably been beat from a farrier and has a bad experience

Edited by Macttle 5/9/2016 22:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)