AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wild Turkey control in corn field
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

17821x
Posted 1/31/2016 07:43 (#5076351 - in reply to #5075916)
Subject: RE: Wild Turkey control in corn field

NE Iowa
I have a couple fields surrounded by timber that I fight turkey damage. I can get over one third stand loss on the outside 24 rows which is a significant portion of the field. There is a seed treatment made to protect seed from birds called Avipel. Here is the website:

http://www.arkionls.com/av/product-info.html

Unfortunately it is no labelled for use in Illinois and Iowa. It is labelled in Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, etc. The active ingredient in Avipel is anthraquinone which is a natural organic compound found in many foods like grape skins. The anthraquinone in Avipel is concentrated enough that it makes the birds stomach upset that they stop eating seed. Doesn't harm the birds longterm.

Since I'm from Iowa l couldn't buy Avipel. Since I can see Wisconsin from my farm I was thinking of having a friend across the river buy it for me and smuggling it into Iowa. But I found a good deal on a jar of the active ingredient anthraquinone on EBay of all places. So I bought that and used it on my problem fields last spring. It seemed to work good. Very little turkey damage.

Edited to correct link.

Edited by 17821x 1/31/2016 07:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)