AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn on corn long term
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

chadlit
Posted 1/16/2016 12:33 (#5040077 - in reply to #5039650)
Subject: RE: Corn on corn long term

SD
I'm not sure as to what nutrients and minerals each crop takes off and which micro-organisms benefit from each root structure. Might want to ask a soil biologist. I think we all have a decent grasp as to what macro (N,P,K) nutrients are pulled off but getting down to the amount and types of micronutrients and minerals is probably a bit more challenging. We are beginning to learn how important soil health is to maximizing yields. Improving or just maintaining the soil is going to be the tricky part. If you look over a short term of 5-10-20 years its probably not an issue and as long as you fertilize according to your soil tests you should be ok, but for longer term 50-100 years are we still going to be able to pull 200-300 bu. corn yields off the same ground or are we as farmers in effect "raping the soil" of its nutrients and natural biological processes by removing seed/organic material and adding artificial fertilizers and or chemicals which are for the most part unnatural substances? Only time and research will tell us.

I hope somebody is doing research on these things, because I think as farmers we have enough on our plate just trying to make our operations "sustainable" for the next 2-3 years!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)