AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn on corn long term
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ajblair
Posted 1/16/2016 11:05 (#5039866 - in reply to #5039650)
Subject: RE: Corn on corn long term

Dayton, IA
I have had fields in corn over 10 years and have been moving back closer to 50/50 rotation. I wouldn't say any year of corn on corn is better or worse. There are so many variables, just that the corn after beans in general over several year period were the better yields. Had lots of times where corn on corn was better or as good as rotation, but when things got stressed bad enough yield on continuous corn fell off faster. Weather played a big part and made some years going all corn a slam dunk, and some years having some acres in beans a real life saver.
By the time you figure out if corn in year 10 is better then corn in year 2 you have spent 1/3 of your farming career and if year 10 is too wet or dry, you probably need to wait until year 11 to make a decision. I would just say a corn crop around here grosses more dollars and if it yields well will out net soybeans. If beans have a good year and corn doesn't yield outstanding then the rotation is more net, just have to decide how much risk you want and how much reward you need to pay for the risk.

A.J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)