AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

what new technology will change crop production
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

joeatdawn
Posted 12/11/2015 10:20 (#4952913 - in reply to #4952275)
Subject: RE: what new technology will change crop production

Occam's Razor will be the newest tech

I'm in the minority in the biz with my hypothesis that the highest tech changes in farming are going to look low tech.

Half the people trying to sell farmers "tech" to make them more money don't know the difference between corn and beans.

We know more about the surface of Mars than we know about fungi and bacteria and plant roots and plant communication.

The problem with Ag technology is that we've allowed the conversation to be driven by people that believe that plants and soil will bend to the same will as Moore's Law.

Look for inspiration in the Amish guys. You think the knowledge that was built up over centuries is worthless just because the science behind it wasn't totally understood?- Like farming in the past was a crappy Motorola bag phone and today you've got an iPhone? Farming isn't consumer tech.

That's why I'm stoked about this relay crop deal. You can put so much effort into these little 1 and 2% gains...then another guy comes in and uses more light and fills bare soil with another cash crop and blows it away with a 20% gain on the bottom line. Companies like tech because tech is something you can sell. It is new and Evergreen.

Grow 20% more corn. Where is the growth on the demand side going to be?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)