AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Here's some tips for soil sampling (with pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pvafarm
Posted 12/10/2015 07:00 (#4950479 - in reply to #4950307)
Subject: RE: Here's some tips for soil sampling (with pics)

Southeast WI
Those are little rubbermaid waste baskets. Pretty sturdy and last several years. I always buy a bunch when I see them at a store since many dont carry them. They work great for mixing soil and pouring in the bags. I used to take my soil to the lab and i would see the tech trying to pour lumps of soil into their tiny boxes - you'd be amazed at the people that dont properly crush soil cores. There was some young guy on here awhile back bragging about how many samples he pulls in an hour - certainly not a sustainable number - and I asked how he does that and has time to mix the cores. Never got a reply. The mixing and bagging takes about as long as core pulling.

This Oct it got too dry to sample here after 6 weeks of no rain, but like your area, its seldom dry long. With this probe, the plumbing brush I use several times a day and a poke stick theres no need for wd-40 lube or anything. I hesitate to grind any kind of mark in this tube since its a formed tip which means the walls are somewhat thin and I dont want to compromise the strength. Oakfield or other tubes are built like a battleship and equally heavy and I sure dont care to swing that weight all day for 8-10 hours - done that. Those you can grind marks in. I have to refreshen the sharpie mark usually once a day.

Edited by Pvafarm 12/10/2015 07:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)